Thursday, January 21, 2010

Errands and Oblivion

I ran errands over my lunch hour. Specifically, the following:

-I went to the hardware store to buy a new light switch.

-I got my hair cut.

-I went into a restaurant at high noon, ordered some food, and took it to go.

-I filled my gas tank.

-I went to the ATM.

Now: which of these took the longest?

The haircut, right? NOPE. Went to a new place, and I was in and out (and happy, no less) in less than 10 minutes.

Well, it had to be lunch, right? I mean, straight up noon, no call ahead…

NOPE. It took less than 5 minutes.

It was the ATM. Because the oblivious, selfish jackass two cars ahead of me apparently decided to do his entire 2009 small business accounting from the driver’s seat of his car.

I’m not kidding. The guy deposited AT LEAST a dozen checks, one at a time, correcting his entries. Then, he fed money into the machine bill by bill. Then, he removed his debit card, PUT IN A DIFFERENT ONE, and made a withdrawal…THEN SAT IN HIS CAR FOR 30 seconds writing in his checkbook.

The guy in front of me laid on his horn and started cussing, at which point the jackass looked up as if to notice the line behind him for the first time.

Don’t be that guy. I know it’s a lot to ask in this world of self-absorption, but pay a little attention to your surroundings--at the ATM, in the aisle at Walmart, while you’re running a stop sign right in front of me because you were having such an important conversation. I’m not always as patient as I was today.

6 comments:

kcmeesha said...

I am probably down to 3 atm trips a year

Chimpotle said...

The ATM is probably the worst for these people. Especially in this case when the bank was open. Go inside, jackass.

The only person close to this is the guy who goes into the drive-thru, asks the cashier to wait while he looks at the menu and then puts in multiple special orders.

JJSKCK said...

@m.v.-Mine have dwindled too, since cash back is available everywhere. Unfortunately, I had a paper check to deposit.

@Chimpotle-Yeah, what the hell is with the multiple drive-thru orders? Why do people do that? I've yet to think of a legitimate reason that it should be allowed.

Alan! said...

I believe strongly that when a drive-up ATM has two lanes, and a car is idling in each at the machines themselves, and I am in the first car to pull in behind them both, I have the right to hang back a couple feet and not fully commit to a specific lane until one car has finished its business.

Nobody who ever pulls in behind me agrees with this. Seriously, last night some asshole tried to nose around me to wait behind a specific car instead of for the next available.

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Alan! I have been in your position and the position of the guy behind you before. It would be nice if every place had enough space for a single queue that would allow you to funnel to the next available spot. Then again, there would likely still be "that guy" who's screwing around at that point in the line and making everyone else wait.

Corey said...

I'm helping at the bar at Laugh Out Loud Theater the other night, 110 people jammed into the place, and a long line at the walk-up bar which can service 2 people at a time, at best. We're cranking through customers, whipping out the bottles of beer and the "give me 4 Captain and Diet" d-bags, when these two idiots step up.

Fellas, you've been in line for at least 10 minutes, and you're men in your mid 40s to early 50s. Now is NOT the time to go "Hmm....so.....what looks good...." and hem and haw with each other, while another 25 people wait behind you. If you want to scan the beer selection real quick, fine. But if you're in your 40's and don't have a "go-to" drink at this point, you probably shouldn't be at a bar, of any kind.

Also note, the final selection was Effen Black Cherry and soda.