Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why Your Drive to Work is Slow

Here are the results of my incredibly formal, ridiculously scientific survey as I waited for the light to turn green at 7:50 this morning. I was at a red light headed southbound on Nieman at Shawnee Mission Parkway.

Of the 22 cars heading westbound on Shawnee Mission Parkway during their green light, only 7 drivers (31.8%) were looking vaguely in the direction of the road. The rest were involved in playing with their phone, turning around to yell at their kids, putting on makeup, or turned around looking for something in the back seat.

Of the 8 cars turning from eastbound Shawnee Mission Parkway to northbound Nieman, 4 were looking at the road (50%), which is better, but still a bit alarming considering they were making a turn. One guy even pulled off the impressive smoking/playing with phone/greeting someone he knew in a passing car combo.

I know bitching about other drivers is trite and tired, but it really is bothersome to see how few eyes are actually kinda-sorta on the road at any given time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they were conducting the same survey as you.

JJSKCK said...

Touché!

I wasn't very clear about the fact that all the cars in the survey were actually in motion, passing in front of me at the time of my stationary collection of data. Even smoking/texting/greeting/turning guy.

TBinKC said...

I am now even more happy about my one-light commute.

Corey said...

And I'm even happier about my decision to sell my car.

JJSKCK said...

TB - Yeah, that's nice. Mine really isn't all that bad (15 minutes, no freeway), but some days...

Corey - Took the plunge, eh? I got the impression that even living a few miles out from downtown, a car was only marginally useful. Do you just rent when you need to get away for the weekend?

lesliemostaffa said...

I completely agree with you! We ride a motorcycle and are keenly aware of how little attention driver pay to the road. Thanks for noticing. Leslie

Corey said...

Josh - Yeah, rentals for getting away, occasionally borrow for special trips, but it's mostly bus and the el for now. Cannot wait for the weather to make it bike-worthy again. It's mid-April now, so probably only a couple more months til then! Oh, Midwestern weather.

Joel said...

Bitching about how other people drive... that's where I live. Long live the traffic rant...