Wednesday, July 14, 2010

(The Appearance of) Diversity in Education

I got this postcard from Johnson County Community College, and I thought the forced diversity depicted in the student photos was rather funny.



Sorry the pictures are lousy…but here’s what we’ve got:

-Asian girl
-White guy
-Middle Eastern girl
-Black guy
-Hispanic guy
-White girl
-Black guy

A veritable Rainbow Coalition, eh?

From their own website:
Female students make up 54 percent of the student body. About 16.5 percent are non-Caucasian.

In other words, 71.4% (postcard), 16.5% (reality).

I think I like this commercial even better, as it divides time equally between academic programs and jackass students messing with their mobile devices.



Dude at the end giving the “what’s up” shrug and going right back to the phone…exactly how does that sell your school?

(Dotte aside: I wish I could find the KCKCC commercial online. It's even lower budget, if you can imagine that. It consists of a white guy, black guy, Asian girl, and Hispanic girl, each slowly turning to the camera. The two guys were menacing as HELL, mugging 'Dotte style for all to see. Oh - and one of the quotes at the bottom of the screen used the word 'exiciting'.)

2 comments:

kcmeesha said...

I made up a whole post of the same flyer some time ago. I am glad we think alike
http://www.kcmeesha.com/2009/01/26/diversity-for-the-sake-of-diversity/

Justin Kendall said...

Here's the KCKCC commercial.